Commemorating 50th anniversary of Cammer
By Titus Bloom –
Winder, Georgia: Some recent production at Jon Kaase Racing Engines included the building of several impressive Ford FE hot-rod engines, not least of which a beguiling Cammer version.
Big-block V8s packing 427 cubic inches (7 liters), FE production began in 1958 and ended in 1976. It replaced Ford’s Y-block and at the end of its reign was succeeded by the 385-series.
Competition FE engines were characterized by their remarkable record-breaking history, scoring dozens of NASCAR and drag racing triumphs and winning hundreds of races in Shelby Cobras. But in global motor sports, the FE’s reputation soared when it powered the unassailable Ford GT40s to two successive 24-hour Le Mans victories in 1966 and ’67. So dominant on the world’s stage were they, that when engine displacement rules were reduced to 5 liters, the GT40s continued to dominate, prevailing in 1968 and ’69 using Ford’s 302cu in (5 liter) small-block.
Earlier in 1965 Ford created a hemi-chambered cylinder head for the FE and operated its valves by a single overhead camshaft situated in the middle of each head. Known as the Cammer it was banned by NASCAR but became the tour de force in drag racing when Pete Robinson replaced the chain drive with a perceptive gear drive assembly (See The Legend of “Sneaky Pete” Robinson drag racing innovator and champion in next issue of Car Craft Elapsed Times, Summer Issue, on sale 04/24 news stands only).
The FE featured a bore spacing (distance between cylinder centers) of 4.630in and a deck height (distance from crank center to block top) of 10.170in. The main journal (crankshaft bearing) diameter is 2.749 in (69.8 mm).
Click here to see short interview of Jon Kaase discussing his latest FE and Cammer engine builds.
For further information contact:
Jon Kaase Racing Engines, Inc.
735 West Winder Ind. Parkway,
Winder, GA 30680,
Telephone (770) 307-0241 or email: JonKaaseRacing@gmail.com