By Bertie Scott Brown
Alton, VA: Last year TMI Autotech released a new limited-edition Ariel Atom track day car.
In a technical partnership with Honda Racing, a mere 10 uniquely numbered cars, known as the Ariel Atom Honda Racing Edition, were produced at TMI’s Virginia factory.
Capitalizing on the opportunity to showcase Honda Racing’s latest components for their Grand American and World Challenge HPD racing program, the new Atoms exhibit an extra 45hp, producing 275hp at 7,800rpm and generating 225lb-ft of torque at 5,300rpm.
Other key upgrades worth noting in the drive line include Honda’s six-speed close-ratio transmission and limited slip differential. Stopping power for this new 1,300lb projectile is provided by 300mm floating brake discs in conjunction with radial-mount 4-piston calipers on all four corners. In the suspension systems, chrome-moly aero tubes replace conventional round-tube wishbones, and operate with double-adjustable custom-calibrated JRI aluminum dampers.
Power-to-weight ratio: the irrefutable advantage
As you can imagine, cars endowed with a power-to-weight ratio of .21hp/lb are rarely dull, and in this regard the Ariel Atom Honda Racing Edition will exceed that of many modern supercars—and will accomplish it in naturally aspirated form.
Of course, for the fifty or so competitors already competing in this season’s Spec Race Atom series, statistics close to these are well known. The genius of the Ariel Atom lies in its simplicity. Vivid are the images of an Atom that hits its turning-in marks at speed, holds its line, brakes from 100mph to zero in lightning time and generates 1.7 to 1.8g in steady-state cornering.
Robust and well engineered these new track day editions might be a revelation—not just fast but also great fun to drive.
The Ariel Atom Honda Racing Edition is distinguished by its branding, its tinted side panels and aero screens, and its lightweight color-matched 16in magnesium wheels. Other clues that mark its rank are black anodized aluminum components and its fenders, front and rear aerofoils and dash surround, all of which are made of carbon fiber. See complete listing below:
Ariel Atom Honda Racing Edition Specifications
Honda Performance Development Engine
- Developed from Grand American and World Challenge HPD racing programs
- 2.4L displacement with
- 4 port (K20) DOHC iVTEC head
- 275 HP @ 7,800/225 ft./lbs @5300
- Forged pistons
- Baffled oil pan
- Short runner intake
- Performance clutch and lightened flywheel
- 4:2:1 custom exhaust design (2000F Jet-Hot ceramic coated)
- Auxiliary engine oil cooler w/fan
- Custom ECU calibration
- Inline auxiliary radiator w/fans
- 6-speed with Limited Slip differential
- Honda Performance Development close ratio gear set
- Needle roller bearing bellcranks
- Chromoly aerotube wishbones
- Custom JRI 2-way adjustable dampers
- Dual rate springs
- Aurora PRM series rod ends
Lilghtweight Tubular Steel Chassis
- Precision CNC formed and laser notched steel tubing
- TIG welded
- Custom designed, fully welded roll structure
- Honda Performance Development radial mount 4-piston calipers
- 300mm floating discs
Lightweight Magnesium Wheels
- 16” x 7” Front & 16” x 8” Rear
- HANS specific 6-point safety harness
- Cockpit adjustable brake bias
- Race Technology DASH2 display logger
- Limited edition aluminum gear selector
- Anatomic D-shaped steering wheel with quick release hub connected to quick ratio steering rack
Honda Racing Appearance Package
- Honda Performance Development branding
- Limited edition custom cam cover
- Custom numbered build plate
- Carbon fiber dash surround
- Special edition gear selector with custom gear surround
- Black anodized aluminum components
- Tinted side panels and aero screens
- Carbon fiber aerofoils – front & rear
- Forged color matched magnesium wheels
- Carbon fiber fenders
- High intensity LED rain & brake lights
Track Day Standard Features
- Master electrical cut-off switch
- Tow eyes front & rear
- Fire suppression system
For further information contact:
TMI AutoTech, Inc.